In this article, we will offer you a set of good excuses for missing zoom class or meeting without lying. We will also share some useful tools for zoom classes or meetings, that will make online learning or working so much easier.
Good excuses for missing zoom class or meeting
Here are some good excuses for missing zoom class or meeting without lying:
- Be honest, with yourself and with others: One of the reasons that commonly underlies this reluctance to deny ourselves even what we do not want to do is not wanting to look bad with others, the fear of being rejected, not to be part of the group or having to support some sort of repercussion. As if our value as a person depended on the opinion that others have of us.
Of course, there is the mandatory part of it as well. However, more than seeing it as a pressure to have to accept, we can take it as an invitation to be able to answer honestly and make our current needs transparent. “I am not feeling quite alright at the moment, I will catch up on the meeting later” is as good an excuse as any.
- Don’t ignore the invitation, but set your priorities: Many feel that it is part of our social responsibility to accompany us in these moments of uncertainty, and to a large extent this is true, being able to keep in touch with our colleagues is something that increases our well-being.
But just like a few months ago you did not meet with your colleagues to plan the workload more than once a week, you shouldn’t change this now just because of the current situation. When it comes to online classes, ask the teacher if he can send you the homework via email as you have to assist your sibling with another zoom class.
- Explain concisely the reasons why you do not want to participate in the meeting: Do you want to miss the zoom class or meeting because you are burned out? Because you have been in front of a screen all day and just thinking about having to spend one more hour gives you a headache? Those are just some of the reasons, and all of them are valid reasons to skip that class.
- Pay attention to the number of times you miss the class: Skipping class or work meeting from time to time is perfectly OK. However, don’t make a habit to ignore all online meetings, as unfortunately, they are here long term and you will just make it worse for yourself by missing all of them.
More excuse for missing a zoom class (that may or may not be true)
Here are the best excuses for not attending a zoom class:
- You have connectivity issues: your WiFi is down, your laptop broke down, cannot connect to the server.
- A sibling or a parent had an important Zoom meeting and you had to share your computer.
- You are sick and cannot possibly concentrate on what the teacher is saying.
- A family member is sick and you have to care for them.
- You have to work to support yourself/your family during the lockdown.
- Another course/interview coincided exactly with the time you had to be online.
- You forgot you had that class, it can happen to anyone!
- You had a doctor’s appointment.
- There was a house emergency (like a gas leak, a water pipe broke down or you had to have your router replaced).
- You had a family emergency (hospitalization or funerals).
- You took a mental health day (because of stress, depression, anxiety, burn out).
Again, no matter the reason, missing class too often is bad for two main reasons. One, you may be missing important information that will later be in exams, or count towards your final grade. Two, some professors count attendance as a part of participation grades and absenteeism is hardly punished in most schools.
Useful tools for Zoom classes
Distance education is based on technology, and one of the best tips we can give you is to make use of all the digital tools necessary to improve your learning experience. They are instruments designed to optimize time and space, increase your productivity and facilitate study.
- X Mind – For your phone or tablet, create practical and creative mind maps or diagrams.
- CamScanner – Whether you like to take notes on paper, or have to use a lot of physical books to study, with this application you can quickly scan documents and save them on your phone or computer.
- GoodNotes – Exclusive for tablets, allows you to create completely digital notebooks, which can be fully customized, adding links and access to documents.
Timetables and digital study plans
- My Study Life – On your tablet or phone, keep an interactive calendar of your virtual class hours, and all pending evaluations. This app includes alarms that let you know in advance that a deadline is approaching.
- Exams – Presents you a countdown for each of the exams you have scheduled.
- Todoist – It’s a digital “to do” list. You can organize different lists, either with academic tasks or from your personal life. For all of them, there are reminders and deadlines.
Apps to help you study
- Tiny cards – You can build your own study cards, with the content and theme you want. Then the application presents you with different dynamics to make the study sessions more pleasant and effective.
Study techniques for distance education
Do you know what kind of student you are? Each person learns differently. One of the advantages of distance education is that you can focus on what you need. Here are some of the most useful study techniques for different types of students:
Pomodoro method: It consists of organizing your time to be more productive and avoid distractions. To use the Pomodoro method, you must divide your study time into long work intervals and shorter rest periods, all with the help of a stopwatch.
For example, three 25-minute study intervals, with a 10-minute break between each. After completing these three periods, you can take a longer break of 15-20 minutes. The key is not to be distracted during study time. Then you will have completed almost 2 hours of productive work.
Today you can find web pages with timers for the Pomodoro technique on the internet, such as Pomofocus, Tomato Timer and Pomodoro Tracker. And if you prefer, you can also choose an application for your mobile phone. Some good options are Focus To Do, Pomodoro Timer, and Marinara Timer.
Online study groups
There are people who get very bored studying alone, which causes them to become distracted and lose motivation. Online study group techniques offer a practical and inexpensive solution. You can form groups with your classmates, or join groups of people in other universities or countries.
In a study forum, debate and critical thinking are encouraged; doubts are clarified and new approaches to the study topics are worked on. Basically, students actively review their knowledge, without the pressure of a quiz or study guide.
When it comes to online classes, we suggest you adopt the rule of being 1% better at something a day. Don’t try to make big strides in one day and then stay inactive for a long time.
This is only going to frustrate you and in the end, you will find that progress has been minimal. Instead of this, adopt the rule of improving 1% every day, it is something simple and easy to achieve with incredible long-term results.
Although 1% may seem insignificant to you. Think of the 1% rule as building a wall by laying one brick at a time, without exhausting yourself with the number of bricks to glue and without worrying about when you are going to finish; just worrying about glueing one brick at a time in the best possible way.
When you reach the last brick, you will have managed to build the most resistant wall in the world, much more robust and perfect than the one you would have built.
We hope that our excuses for not attending an online class for a long time will help you avoid the sanctions, but we strongly suggest you read our tips for online classes so that you enjoy them and become better in the process!
If you have any comments or questions on the content, please let us know.
FAQ on good excuses for missing zoom class
How do I skip school without getting marked absent?
If you want to skip school without getting marked absent you have to give the teacher a sick note. Your parents/guardians should be the ones who sign the sick note.
Is it OK to skip class sometimes?
It is perfectly okay to skip class sometimes. When you are stressed or burned out it is understandable to need some time to recharge. As long as it is occasionally, it is alright.
How can I skip school grade?
To skip a school grade you have to send in a written request to the school principal. Make sure that you state the reasons why you have to skip a school grade.
Why is skipping class bad?
Skipping class is bad for two reasons. One, you may be missing important information that will later be in exams, or count towards your final grade. Two, some professors count attendance as a part of participation grades and absenteeism is hardly punished in most schools.